Tasman Aluminium
0800 201020


There’s a lot to know when it comes to windows and doors, this glossary of terms will help you understand what we are talking about.

Anodised: ‘Anodised aluminium’ has been chemically and electrically altered to provide excellent surface protection. It is usually produced in silver or bronze

Awning window: This window is hung from the top, and opens out from the bottom. One advantage is that it can be left ajar in wet weather

Bay window: This is a large attractive window that curves outwards from the house. It usually has three ‘facets’ or sides

Bi-fold door or window: A door or window where the panels slide and ‘fold’ against each other to create a wide opening. These are ideal for indoor-outdoor flow

Box section: When you look at the piece of aluminium in cross-section, it is completely enclosed. This adds strength and rigidity.

Box window: A window that protrudes from the house in a box shape (i.e the sides are at right angles to the main window pane). Excellent for creating warmth and light

Casement window: These windows open outwards and are hung at the sides

Double Hung window: This is where the two windows (one on top, one below) slide past each other. A pivot sash lets you tilt each window to clean both sides of it. Great for apartments or smaller spaces

Extrusion: Plasticised metal is passed through a die that creates the aluminium extrusions in the desired shape

Fabricators: The people who actually produce the finished aluminium joinery products

Faceted window: This is any window that has a number of ‘faces’, which are joined by silicon. For example, a bay window usually has three facets

Fixed Light: This is a non-opening window or pane

Flashings: These are folded or extruded materials (usually aluminium) which are fitted between the framing of the house and the frames of your windows. They are vital to prevent water penetrating the building

French Doors: An elegant pair of doors, closing together, which usually open outwards on to a deck or patio

Greenhouse windows: Similar to a box window, but with a sloping glass roof. Ideal for kitchens, or creating space and light

Jamb: The vertical piece at the side of a window or door frame

Jambliners: The internal facing between the window or door and wall lining. (Also known as a ‘reveal’)

Mullion: Any vertical piece that appears within a window. It adds interest and effect

Passive air vents: These are vents installed in windows, to allow a healthy flow of fresh air to the room

Powdercoating: This process applies a colour finish to the aluminium in the form of a powder, which is then baked on to the product. It allows for a range of attractive colours

Rail: The horizontal edge in a sash or glazed door

Raked window: A window with one or more of its sides sloping (e.g a triangular window)

Sash: The part of the window that opens (at the bottom or side)

Shugg window: A vertical sliding window with two panes of glass which slide past each other in one action

Sidelight: A glazed panel at the side of a hinged door. Sometimes the sidelight can also be opened

Stile: The vertical edge of a sash or glazed door

Transom: A horizontal piece that appears within the frame of a window or door

Vision rail: The horizontal piece that appears approximately halfway up a glazed door. It is excellent for safety